Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Answer is Yes

Today Dory asked me if I liked chocolate covered cherries. I thought of my grandfather, the liquid neon red cherries in some gelatinous liquid. I remembered how much I hated the texture, the gush of mushy something in my mouth. So I said no. But then I thought about how I have just recently started eating meat and how quick I was to make a judgement based on a past experience. And the more we practice saying no, the more no becomes the default and I know that's not how I want to live. The whole point of every day anew is to find new inspiration and expansiveness in each day. And as soon as the no came out I said, wait a minute. I don't know if I like that or not, let's find out. Turns out, she had cherries in dark chocolate and not the neon red bar cherries, but real dried cherries. I savored them and the moment of inquiry.

The word yes when spoken or shouted makes the mouth curl up and smile. My heart lifts when I say yes. And the more I say yes, the more I learn. I know this from taking new teaching endeavors or saying yes to help other people out. It's much harder for me to yes myself and that's really what this experience is, saying yes to the limitlessness of my own heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment