Monday, February 13, 2012

Thai Yoga Massage

I used to be the yoga teacher who was sacred to touch people b/c I didn't want to hurt them or get in the way of their practice. Before moving here, I had taught trauma sensitive yoga classes and so it took me a while before I felt it was safe to enter into my students' physical space. Now in thinking about that, I think that came from how I felt about people and teachers entering my space. For a long while I've felt simultaneously guarded yet free. It's a contradiction that I'm inquiring about and exploring and I do feel that the guard has come down quite a bit. I'm sure there's more to unlock but much progress has been made: I've lessened the hair dye, the make-up, the primping and prepping of my life. If my look could now be described by Cosmo, I'd say natural and radiant.

But getting back to touch, I think this is the year for it---it started with advances techniques for assisting asana and now this. Instead of worrying about the body and how and where to touch, I'm learning to trust that clear intention of love and healing will be the intuitive guide. It's like intimacy with clothes on---something I feel grateful for being able to explore and thankful to have the opportunity to see touch in a way that is sensual but not sexual.

No comments:

Post a Comment